A PDF Version of this Contract is also available.
The Martha’s Vineyard Performing Arts Center
P. O. Box 1385
Oak Bluffs, MA 02557
Phone: (508) 693-1033 ext. 250
Fax: (508) 693-1891
Charlie Esposito, Manager
Application to Use Martha’s Vineyard Performing Arts Center v. 1.43
This is an application, not a contract. Read and understand the following policies before submitting an application. Accepted applicants will be required to sign a Booking Agreement and Theater License (contract).
Applications may be submitted up to one year in advance of the first performance date. As of March 1st of each year, the Martha’s Vineyard Performing Arts Center (MVPAC) will prepare a schedule for the upcoming summer season. Applications may also be submitted any time in advance of the event, with all parties acknowledging that a short lead time will significantly affect the availability of dates and the ability of the parties to prepare for the event. Applications submitted less than 30 days in advance of the proposed event will be accepted at the sole discretion of the Manager. Academic year dates for non MVRHS events will not be accepted until the MVRHS Performing Arts Center use schedule is finalized, and MVRHS use will always have priority over any other use.
Applications for the use of the theater are accepted in accordance with the priority list determined by the MVPAC. However, for artistic or other reasons, the MVPAC reserves the right to allow exceptions to the established list. As a general rule, the intention of the MVPAC is to provide for constant use of the facility. Consequently, weekends or excessive time will seldom be provided for preparation work, rehearsals, or other non public events.
Application fees of $250.00 are required with the first application from one applicant, and $150.00 for all additional applications from the same applicant for engagements in the same season. Payment in full is required of flat-fee events. Accepted organizations may apply the application fee to its costs. Applications that are denied will have the fee returned to the applicants. Payment in full is required of Flat Fee events (see below).
Twenty-five percent (25%) of the expected total fees and costs must be paid at the time the signed booking agreement is returned to the MVPAC. Payment in full, with the application, is required of flat fee events.
If less than 100 percent (100%) of the potential gross box office receipts are to be sold by the theater box office, then the balance of the total fees and costs must be paid to MVPAC one day in advance of the first performance, subject to subsequent billing for day-of-performance sales and expenses.
If any payments to theater are not made according to the schedule set forth in the agreement, the event is subject to cancellation and all money previously paid to MVPAC will be forfeited to theater as liquidated damages.
Standard Priority Order:
1. High School Programs
2. Other School Programs
3. Not for profit organizations located on Martha’s Vineyard.
4. Commercial organizations or individuals located on Martha’s Vineyard.
5. Not for profit organizations based outside Martha’s Vineyard
6. Commercial organizations or individuals based outside Martha’s Vineyard.
Fees and Costs for Use of MVPAC $900.00 or 22% of gross box office receipts, whichever is larger, with a cap of $2500.00
35% discount for legitimate Not for Profit organizations. Copy of certificate required with application. The application must be made and signed by an officer of the Not for Profit organization.
Alternative flat-fee; only for events that need no more than one hour before or after the event for set-up and clean up:
$1300.00 for for-profit organizations, $800.00 for not for profits Full Payment, Proof of Insurance, and Copy of 501 C 3 Certificate required with application, 30 days in advance of event.
There is a separate application form, policy statement, and fee structure for non-admission events.
1. The name of the performing artists must appear on the application. Speculative applications to reserve dates are not permitted.
2. The rental includes the auditorium, box office, lighting and sound systems (whether used or not), a technical supervisor, the green room, and basic janitorial service. The fee includes a six hour rehearsal/performance block, and up to five hours technical set up time on the same day (one hour for events being charged alternate flat fee); additional hours at $50.00 per hour All other services and facilities will be covered by a fee schedule. Supplies, materials, etc. shall be charged as incurred. All users will be required to sign a contract with the Martha’s Vineyard Performing Arts Center.
3. The renter is responsible for providing any necessary technical, security, box office, and front of house staff. The staff must be sufficient in number and capability to meet the needs of the performance group to the satisfaction of the Performing Arts Center manager. Thirty days in advance of the event, a plan must be submitted to the Performing Arts Center Manager detailing technical, security, and personnel arrangements.
4. The renter must add the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School as an insured on their liability policy, and provide a certificate of insurance verifying the above with at least $1,000,000.00 coverage of liability, thirty days in advance of the event.
5. Thirty days in advance of the scheduled performance, the renter must provide to the Performing Arts Center manager, copies of any technical riders included in any contracts with performance groups, as well as any other technical issues. The manager will decide on the feasibility of providing for these within the facility, and direct the renter to outside sources if necessary. Complete technical specifications for the Performing Arts Center are available.
6. Children performing or involved in events at the Performing Arts Center must be under adult supervision at all times. Children must not be allowed to roam through the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School.
7. The presence of alcoholic beverages anywhere on the property of MVRHS is strictly prohibited. Smoking anywhere on the property of MVRHS is strictly prohibited. Violation of these policies will result in immediate cancellation or termination of the event. Food is not permitted in the Performing Arts Center, or in the classrooms or hallways of MVRHS.
8. All events, rehearsals, technical activities must end by 10:30 PM.