Happy Two Day Week!!!
- The MVRHS Student Newscast
- The Minnesinger Winter Concert : Tickets are available from any Minnesinger. This year’s concerts will feature special Island musicians including Mark Lovewell, Willy Mason, Jemima James, Merrily Fenner, Steve Tully, Joanne Cassidy and Siren Mayhew!
- MVRHS Bowling Club: Meetings are every Monday from 2:30-4:30 @ The Barn. Take the OB Bus, Lane 7, right after school. Cost is $5.00!
- Thanksgiving 5k walk/run for KJ: Saturday, November 25th, from 10 am-Noon at the MVRHS field to help raise money for the KJ Cross Country Scholarship. Fees include a t-shirt. Pre-registration: $20 at Runsignup.com . Day of registration: $30 from 8:30-9:30 am Any additional questions: email@example.com .
- All Cape and Island Music Festival: Congratulations to ALL 39 (32 vocalists, 7 string players) students who auditioned and made it into the festival- February in Barnstable!
- Baseball Meeting: Anyone wishing to play baseball this coming spring, there will be a meeting in room 322 at 2:15pm, Monday November 20th.
- Gym: The school gym is closed until after break .
- Our Island Club: Our Island Club will be in the cafeteria during lunch on November 28th and 29th offering free memberships to juniors and seniors.
- National Honors Society: Fall induction ceremony is on Tuesday November 28th. Reception is at 6:00pm in the Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $15 per person. Ceremony is at 7:00pm in the Performing Arts Center. Admission is free.
- MVRHS Budget Presentation: Presentation of the school budget will be held on Monday November 27th in the Performing Arts Center at 6:00 pm.
- Application Requirements: Students should check with certain schools about application requirements. Be sure to have all the basics:
- Update your Naviance so guidance (Cindy Grant and your individual counselor) knows where they have applied and where transcripts and recommendations should be sent.
- Seniors should remind teachers of their college deadlines.
- SAT scores should be sent directly from College Boards to their applied schools.
- Both seniors and parents need to complete the FAFSA application.
- Students make sure to check in with your guidance counselor if they have any questions.
- Senior squares Tuesday during flex.
- Transcripts: All transcripts will be sent to colleges when students apply. After first quarter grades are verified, the transcripts will be updated, and another transcript will be sent to each college the student applied to.
- Seniors and thank you’s: Make sure to thank the teachers who have written you a college recommendation. The best way is to write a personalized “thank you” note.
Information from the Guidance Office
The next SAT will be on December 2, 2017.
Freshmen and Sophomores : guidance counselors will be pulling students over the next couple weeks to get them familiar with Naviance. Students will explore careers, work on personal resumes, and begin a basic college search.
Vineyarder of the Week
Each week we will introduce a student or staff member to our entire school community!
This Week: Doug DeBettencourt
How long have you been teaching at MVRHS?
This will be my 24th year!
What did you do before you became a teacher?
I was the head golf professional for 15 years at the Farm Neck Golf Club.
How else have you involved yourself at MVRHS?
I am the varsity head golf coach, math coordinator, and co-president for the teacher’s union.
How long have you been coaching golf at MVRHS?
This was my 15th year, but I might continue 1-2 years after retirement.
So you obviously played golf when you were younger…?
I started playing golf when I was 11. I played in high school and then played at Boston College.
What made you decide to change careers from golf professional to math teacher?
I didn’t like the hours necessary for working at Farm Neck and I wanted to enjoy myself and spend time with my loving family.
Why do you like teaching upperclassmen over the sophomores and freshmen?
I like teaching the older students because I get to explore more complex math with them.
Do you enjoy being a teacher?
I love teaching. I thoroughly enjoy interacting with students and I feel at home in my classroom.
You are retiring at the end of the school year. What are you going to miss the most about MVRHS?
The daily interaction with both student and teachers.
Do you have any plans for after retirement?
I plan to spend more time with my grandchildren and hope to travel places in our RV!
Winter Athletic sign-ups are open now!
MVRHS Winter Sports Tryouts Begin Monday, November 27th
Boys Hockey – Coach Mincone
Girls Hockey – Coach Fiorito
Boys Basketball – Coach Joyce
Girls Basketball – Coach Bishop
Swimming – Coach Chatinover
Indoor Track – Coach Schroeder
Information From The Nurse and Athletic Trainer:
Sports registration will close on Friday, November 24th. Late registration will open on Monday, November 27th at 8:00pm.
Sign up on the Athletics page.
**Early registration is highly recommended. Processing information takes several days. We do not want your child to miss practice- don’t wait!**
The dates of the last sports physical on file with the school nurse may be found on Plus Portal under “demographics.”
Last pre-season impact baseline session will be held on Monday, 11/20/17 at 2:15pm. You MUST register on Family ID, spaces are limited.
** PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ANY ATHLETE WHO HAS NOT TAKEN THE IMPACT BASELINE WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY CONTACT ACTIVITIES. THIS LIMITS YOUR ABILITY TO PRACTICE WITH THE TEAM AND MAY ALSO~AFFECT YOUR PLACEMENT ON THE TEAM.