Student artwork displayed below has been provided by this year’s painting and drawing and photography classes.
Announcements: Week of 12/11, 2017
On Friday, a true friend of Island youth, Tony Lombardi, passed away. MVRHS remembers the enormous contributions he made to our Island community, most recently as the Director of Alex’s place at the YMCA. When we receive information about services for Tony we will pass them along to our school community.
- Screening of The Martian: The Film & Video Club will be showing The Martian for FREE in the PAC at 6:00pm on Monday, December 11th!
- Red Stocking Toy Drive for Island children: The Red Stocking Toy Drive started Wednesday, December 6th and ends on Monday, December 11th. Please donate a new unwrapped toy- the collection bins are outside the Cafeteria and by the Gym. All toys collected will be donated in our name -please help show MVRHS cares. Thank you!!
- Battle of the Coins: Starting Monday, December 4th and ending on Thursday, December 21st, the entire school will be participating in a coin drive to raise money for charities around the Island. Homerooms will battle each other for a prize upon return from Winter break. A prize will also be given to the overall winner.
- Moroccan Library Project Presentation: Meet Carolina Cooney on December 14th. Carolina recently returned from a trip to Morocco where she is working with the Morocco Library Project. The project’s main goals are to help students learn English and promote gender equality and social advancement. She will be talking about the project and will share opportunities for involvement. More at https://www.moroccolibraries.org/.
- Bowling Tournament: December 15th, after school at The Barn Bowl & Bistro until 4:30. Preference will go to predominantly 9th grade teams. To enter, you must have a team of 6 and a team name before the 15th. Each player must pay $10. There will be a bus there and back to the high school. There are a few lanes left to fill!
- Island Grown Schools Tasting in the Cafeteria: Tuesday, December 19th. December’s Harvest of the Month is leeks. IGS will be preparing a leek and lemon rice for tasting in the cafeteria. The recipe includes the following ingredients: brown rice, leeks, peas, lemon, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Dentist: Vineyard Smiles will be at the school in the nurse’s office on December 14th.
- Children’s Book Drive: Help Support National Honor Society by bringing in new or lightly used books for newborns through teenagers. All books will be donated to Elyce Bonnell at the Edgartown Library who will then disperse the books to kids around the Island. Please help support both Island kids and your National Honor Society!
- Holiday Pop Up Concert 12/16 at 1:00pm: MVRHS Band students join members of the Vineyard Haven Town Band to play Christmas Carols on Main Street in Vineyard Haven!