Student artwork displayed below has been provided by this year’s painting and drawing and photography classes.
Announcements: Week of 12/18, 2017
- Half Day Friday: School will be dismissed at 11:00 am on Friday, December 22nd for the Winter Break. We wish everyone a fantastic, safe winter break.
- Tony Lombardi: There will be a gathering at Alex’s Place in the YMCA from 12-2pm on January 14th. Please join and celebrate the life of Tony Lombardi and all he did for the youth in our community.
- CCCC Dual Enrollment for Psychology 101 (Free Class for MVRHS Juniors and Seniors): Information session is Tuesday, Dec. 19 in the LCR at 9:15 am. If students are interested in signing up, please see Mrs. MacDonald in Guidance ASAP.
- Battle of the Coins: The battle ends this Thursday, December 21st. The entire school is participating in a coin drive to raise money for charities around the Island. Homerooms are battling each other for a prize upon return from Winter break. A prize will also be given to the overall winner.
- Island Grown Schools Tasting in the Cafeteria: Tuesday, December 19th. December’s Harvest of the Month is leeks. IGS will be preparing a leek and lemon rice for tasting in the cafeteria. The recipe includes the following ingredients: brown rice, leeks, peas, lemon, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Children’s Book Drive: Help Support National Honor Society by bringing in new or lightly used books for newborns through teenagers. All books will be donated to Elyce Bonnell at the Edgartown Library who will then disperse the books to kids around the Island. Please help support both Island kids and your National Honor Society!
- WIFI: Over the past couple weeks the internet connection at school has been slow and shown many issues due to the enormous amount of unsupervised and unlimited access students had. As a result to minimize this issue the administration is piloting not having a guest wifi during the school day. Guest wifi will be turned back on after 2:05.
- Parent’s Shopping Night at the MVRHS School Store 12/21: The Business Club is hosting Parent’s Shopping Night at the MVRHS school store Thursday 12/21 from 2-7PM. Take advantage of last minute shopping and will find great gifts for a great cause! Spread Vineyard Pride with MVRHS Champion T-Shirts, long sleeves, hoodies, zips and sweats.Cash,checks and credit cards accepted. Proceeds to benefit MVRHS Business Club as they compete in DECA District and State competitions.
PARENTS- a note about VSCO
A new social media site is emerging for young adults and teens. It is similar to Instagram, where users post photos on their own page. Users can share anyone’s photos, creating a network of friend’s photos. Also, direct messaging was recently added to the app. “VSCO” can be used as an app on your phone or through a website on your computer.
Many students use their actual name as their profile username and are posting photos of themselves with friends, photos of nature and anything else you can think of, including drugs and alcohol, provocative photos and more.
Our concern is the student’s lack of education and understanding of the risks associated with this potentially dangerous behavior. Publicly posting photos on the internet provides a great level of accessibility into their private lives. Many students also put the link to their VSCO account in their Instagram profile, clearly identifying themselves while posting photos that you, as a parent/guardian, may not want the rest of the public to see . Lastly, the only privacy setting is location sharing.
Please be aware of your child’s social media pages, their privacy settings within each app and educate them on the publicity of the photos they are posting.