Week of October 16, 2017
- Check out the new MVRHS Student Newscast
- MEFA (Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority) is presenting their annual talk at Financial Aid Night on October 23 at 6:30pm in the PAC. All senior students and families are welcome.
- Part-time jobs available (students and staff):
MV Ice Arena – Interested? Contact Pete Lambos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Study Abroad
Presentation by Mr. Baer during flex time: Opportunities to study abroad on Tuesday 10/24.
- The Dentist is coming!
Vineyard Smiles will be here October 26th & 27th Register online: click here or contact the school nurse at 508-693-1033 x116. Your child will receive a full dental exam including oral health screening, cleaning, and fluoride treatment, oral hygiene instructions, x-rays, sealants, and fillings. You must register your child every school year. Any questions call Vineyard Smiles at 508-696-0020 x 107
- Snow Club: Interested in this club, but missed the first meeting? Please contact Meghan Sonia at: Meghan.email@example.com or 508-560-4414.
*First quarter ends November 3rd!!!*
Information from the Guidance Office
Check Naviance for the list of college reps who are visiting the high school.
Freshmen and Sophomores: Guidance counselors will be pulling students over the next couple weeks to get them familiar with Naviance.
College Visits Between 10/23 – 10/27
**Must Sign-up before, or the morning of, in Guidance**
10/23: The University of Maine at Farmington @1:20 in the LCR
10/24: Fisher College @1:20 in the LCR
Vineyarder of the Week
Each week we will introduce a student or staff member to our entire school community!
This Week: Shauna Nute, guidance counselor for 10th, 11th and 12th graders.
How long have you worked in the school?
I have been a guidance counselor here for 24 years. I have been at MVRHS for 39 years! Before starting my career at MVRHS, I worked at the Tisbury School for a year. I have also worked as a school librarian and as a special education teacher. I graduated from MVRHS!
What sports did you play?
I played basketball for four years and softball for two years.
What was a popular song when you started working at MVRHS?
What were the extracurricular activities you were involved with while at MVRHS?
I was part of the Minnesingers and jazz band.
Did we have the same sports teams that we currently have back when you were a student?
We didn’t have lacrosse and girls’ soccer. We had track and field, field hockey, girls and boys basketball teams, football, boys soccer, and baseball.
Do you still keep in touch with your friends?
I get to work with three of the people that I went to school with: Mary McDonald, head of guidance, who was a year behind me; Bonnie Tilton, guidance director secretary, who was two years behind me; and Cindy Grant, administrative support personnel, who was three years behind me.
What is your favorite thing about working in the high school?
All the people that I have met of all ages and backgrounds. That’s why I do what I do!
- November 4th SAT– The final registration deadline for the November 4th SAT is October 25th.
- Application Requirements: Students should check with certain schools about application requirements, be sure to have all the basics:
- Update your Naviance so guidance knows where students have applied and where transcripts and recommendations need to be sent.
- Seniors should remind teachers of their college deadlines.
- SAT scores should be sent directly from College Boards to schools they have applied to.
- Both seniors and parents need to complete the FAFSA.
- Students: make sure to check in with your guidance counselor if you have any questions.
- Reminder- Check early action or early decision dates for colleges. Many have an 11/1 deadline.
- Financial Aid Night- On Monday, October 23 at 6:30 pm in the PAC. A representative from the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority will be presenting.
Seniors: Make sure to thank your teachers who have written your college recommendations. The best way is to write a personalized “thank you” letter.
Enrichments in Flex
Portuguese/English Language Learners speaking social hour
EVERY WEDNESDAY in Room 204 with Ms. Sampaio
**Sign up for Ms. Sampaio. Ms. Germani will be blocked for these times.
Learn about opportunities to study abroad on Tuesday, 10/24
Interested in studying abroad next year? Free/low cost programs are the focus. Want to go to Tajikistan, Indonesia, Jordan, India, Malaysia, Senegal, Ghana or somewhere else? Come find out more…
**Sign up for Mr. Baer in room 402
LAST CHANCE: Halloween Costume Making on Fridays through 10/27 with Ms. Kurtz and Ms. Shoquist
Up to 20 students every Friday until Halloween- gather to create your costume!
**Sign up for Ms. Shoquist. Ms. Kurtz will be blocked for these times.
Work in the Garden with Island Grown Schools
Every Tuesday and Thursday, spend some time outdoors working in the garden with Suzie
**Sign up for Suzie Scordino
Chess Club with Mr. McCarthy
Every Friday in Room 419. Come ready to play and learn the game of chess.
**Sign up for Chess Club w/ Mr. McCarthy under English.
Community Arts Project
Every Thursday, learn about the different ways you can celebrate diversity in our community. Any and all artists, sculptors, researchers, and writers are welcome.
**Sign up for Ms. Shoquist in room 326
Gym: ***Sign-up for Ms. Perrotta if you want to be in the gym during flex.
Once in gym class, you will get to choose:
- Nature Walk
- PE Unit Game
- Fitness Room
- Other- PE Make up, Yoga, Health Class Make up
Last week’s athletic team results:
Golf: W 247-267 against Bishop Stang
Boys Soccer: W 1-0 against Falmouth
Girls Soccer: L 3-0 against Falmouth
Girls Field Hockey: W 2-0 Maynard
Cross Country: W against Barnstable
Boys Soccer: L 2-1 against Sandwich
Girls Field Hockey: L 4-0 against Dennis-Yarmouth
Girls Soccer: L 6-0 against Coyle & Cassidy
Girls Field Hockey: T 1-1 against Falmouth
Football: L 28-14 against Coyle & Cassidy
Girls Field Hockey: Home @12:30 Vs. Nantucket
**Congratulations to Field Hockey on qualifying for tournament!!**
This week’s athletic events:
Boys Soccer: Away @3:30 Vs. Madison Park
Girls Soccer: Away @4:00 Vs. Nauset
Field Hockey: Away @3:30 Vs. Plymouth
Boys Soccer: Away @3:30 Vs. Sandwich
Girls Soccer: Home @3:00 Vs. Sandwich
Field Hockey: Away @4:00 Vs. Dighton-Rehoboth
Cross Country: EAC Championship @11:00
Field Hockey: Home @11:00 Vs. Nauset
Boys Soccer: Home @6:00 Vs. Barnstable
Girls Soccer: Away @6:00 Vs. Barnstable